Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Osheku Shuns Saudi Arabia Athletics Job



Former Nigeria and Libya athletics coach, Tony Osheku has shunned a mouth watering athletics coaching job opportunity in Saudi Arabia, this SportsDay can report.
Osheku in an exclusive chat revealed that the Saudi job, though with good incentives was not good enough for him as he has put his love for the growth of Nigeria athletics to working in other countries.
“I had a job opportunity from Saudi Arabia with all incentives and other things attached, but I said what is my gain after improving athletics in other lands and my country lags behind, I had to turn down the job. I also had a stint in Libya where I turned a 47secs runner to 44.8secs in 400m.
 “My stay in Libya was fun and career fulfilling until the war broke out. After the insurgence, they wanted me back but I said no, my country must be my next destination.”
Osheku, who coached Olympic bronze medalist Falilat Ogunkoya said 400m runners in the country need special attention to excel adding, “If given the opportunity I would reverse the slide.”
The former US-based coach frowned at the absence of top athletes; especially the quarter-milers at the first national relay competition. He said the development was not right as the World Championships in Athletics is just four months away while adding that if in March Nigeria top athletes are not running then it will be difficult for the country in the World Championships in Russia.
“This development of our top athletes not running the distance now is not right at all, the World Championships in Athletics is just four months away and this is March.
“I just hope when they start running the distance, it will not be too late to catch up with the world,” he said.

No comments: