Friday, February 18, 2011

Onakoya Targets World Championships




Nigerian ECOWAS 2010 gold medalist, Onakoya Abiola has expressed his determination by churning out good performances that will give him a place in Team Nigeria and finally make it to the IAAF World Championships coming up in August in Daegu, Korea and other international championships.
The Ogun state born athlete and double gold medalist at the Mauritius 2009African Junior Championships maintained his target of returning to Team Nigeria with new goals to meet.
“I want to put in a good performance this year that will lead to my being called to Team Nigeria and in so doing get to represent the country at the IAAF World Championships in August and also get a call up for the All Africa Games in September.”
Onakoya, who has won many medals, warned that he wanted to set a new mark that would see him through 2011.
“I'm hungry for Success,” he said, “I want to be the best, like the captain of the ship. I want to be the best again and being the best will take me places.”
In his hope of returning to the national team, Onakoya will face a renewed threat from other 400m runners.
Onakoya, who has won so many medals, said he is praying to God to give him a successful outing this year at the National Sports Festival, and all National and International competitions while expressing disappointment on the postponement of the Sports Festival which was suppose to have taken place last year.
“I pray that God see me through all my track activities this year and also a successful outing that will see me representing Nigeria in all the international championships we have this year.”
“I was disappointed when I heard of yet another postponement of the national sports festival but I was not surprise because that has been the culture of Nigeria, but what can I do or say? Whenever it comes, I only pray I have a successful one.”
Meanwhile, the multiple gold medalists gave kudos to the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) in their effort in making Nigeria athletics better.
“The Athletics Federation is trying on its own part in putting things straight but they can still do more and make Nigeria athletics the pride of all sports in Nigeria.”

No comments: